Thursday, February 2, 2012

Following the PROCESS

Organizing has come rather naturally to me. I enjoy organizing. I know, it's an illness. I struggle to understand how some don't know how to organize or where to start. I'm lucky to have a husband who loves to organize as much as I do and writes lists better than I. I've been reading a lot of organizing blogs recently. (I'll add the links to the ones I have enjoyed so I can share the blog circle love.)

For this challenge, I've decided to try following OrgJunkie's PROCESS. Don't know what the PROCESS is? She gives a detailed explanation here.

Plan of attack - I can plan!
Remove items - Where am I going to put all of the items?
Organize into piles - I'm a pile queen!
Containerize - I have a lot of these, but I'll make a list of new ones when I get to this phase.
Evaluate plan - This won't be easy
Solve/simplify any remaining issues - Solving I can do!
Smile, relax and enjoy your hard work! - This will be a big public reveal as I celebrate the success at the end of the month!

Step one is Plan of attack, so here's my questions for my plan:

Planning Questions:
1. What do I want the purpose of my room or area to be?
This room needs to (1) store all of my books, (2) be available for an air mattress from time-to-time, (3) serve as a scrapbooking room, (4) have crafting space, (5) allow the Cricut to remain set up.

2. What do I need in or near the room to serve that purpose?
I may need another table/dresser for the Cricut. I need a new office chair (budget allowing). I should have all other items currently in the room to serve this purpose. Ribbon storage options may be needed, but I have lots of ideas on Pinterest.

3. What can I remove from the room?
This is hard. I think I need to get tough and declutter some of my scrapbooking supplies.

4. What problems do I see with the room?
I have valuable wall space that is not being utilized.

5. What organizational tools might solve those problems?
More baskets. Labels. Ribbon organization tools (see Pinterest - Craft Room board)

6. What habits need to change to solve the organizational problems?
Put things away when I'm done with them, when I bring them home, and label, label label!

7. What kind of a budget do I have to create the organized room of my dreams? 
I'm going to do this for less than $300 and I'm not including a new desk chair in that. Desk chair may take some shopping, big decision making, and more than this month.

8. What kind of a timeline is necessary to organize the room?
As this project is part of the 29 day challenge, I'm limiting myself to the month of February, which is 29 days this year! I do need it to be in a livable condition in time for my in-laws visit at the middle of the month.

9. What is my plan of action?
I'm going to follow the PROCESS plan and go section by section. If I get overwhelmed, I'm going to break it into sections: t.v. table, craft cart, desk area (with shelf unit), book shelves, boxes.

10. Who can I ask to help me with this?
I have a friend coming for a long weekend and we might spend a little time so I make progress on this challenge. My husband has committed to taking photos for me so my efforts are on the challenge. Otherwise, I plan on it being all me.

Tomorrow, I start removing items!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Your detailed breakdown and goal setting is incredible! I followed you here from Prairie Home Therapy and the Org Junkie's 29 Day Challenge. I'm on board with the challenge too.Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete